535 Black Rock Turnpike, Easton

Bradley Hubbell homestead; courtesy Easton Historical Society website 2022
  • Bradley-Hubbell homestead
Patricia Hubbell

Hubbell grew up in this house.

Description of Significance/Historical Narrative
The house was built in 1816 and occupied by members and descendants of the Bradley family for nearly a century, until 1912. Franklin Hubbard, an employee of the Bridgeport Hydraulic Company which created the Aspetuck Reservoir by flooding nearby farmland, and his family moved onto the property in 1917. The Hubbells made few changes to the house, but Hubbell added a playhouse for his children and planted apple orchards. The stand where he sold his apples is now the Aspetuck Valley Apple Orchard Apple Barn. John Dimon Bradley (1819-1905), whose parents were the first occupants of the house, described life on the farm in his memoirs, "The Aspetuc Chronicles, Narratives of Former Days in Easton and Weston, Conn...." A different perspective came from Patricia Hubbell, daughter of Franklin Hubbell, who wrote about her life while she lived in the house between about 1932 and 1954 in "Personal Recollections of Life at the BradleyHubbell House."
Date of Construction
1816
Historic Designation(s)