1 North Main Street, Chester

South view of Stone Store, North Main St., Chester
  • Stone Store
Peter Good

Home to Peter Good Graphic Design, later Cummings & Good, since. c.1980.

Description of Significance/Historical Narrative
The Stone Store was built in 1809 by William Buck. The stone for the building is believed to have come from the Chester quarry off Middlesex Turnpike. The first floor has been Denison's store, a tavern and liquor sotre, the Chester Post Office until 1964, and a lighting fixture store subsequently. The upper floor has served as a private school, a kindergarten, the Chester Library, and an apartment. The building is currently offices of Cummings and Good, graphic designers. Listed on the State Register from 1969 CHC survey.
Date of Construction
1809
Historic Designation(s)