Peter Good

Architecture/Design

1942 –

The re-use of the Stone Store building by Good and Cummings exemplifies the importance of place in the life and work of Peter Good and Jan Cummings, whose previous graphic design business location was also in Chester. They are involved in the local historic community of Chester.

Biography/Description of Work

Peter Good and Jan Cummings (b. 1944) met as students at the University of Connecticut, where Peter graduated in the first class of students to major in graphic design. They moved to Chester in 1969, and Peter opened his own business, Peter Good Graphic Design, in 1971, renting space from the Pequot Press, then located in a barn at 132 West Main Street, Chester. A decade later, Peter and Jan purchased the Stone Store building and began working from offices in the upper floor. They have restored the exterior and rehabilitated the interior. In 1995 they changed the business name to Cummings & Good, as Jan had joined as a full time partner. The firm has created corporate identities, notably including the Hartford Whalers logo in 1979, the Peterson Field Guides logo, and United Technologies. A share of their work has been graphic programs for non-profit organizations including the Mark Twain House, University of Connecticut, Special Olympics, Wadsworth Atheneum, Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism, and many more.Their work often makes use of natural images and images derived from antique fabrics.

Sources view
Archives at UConn Babbidge Library. [ http://beta.worldcat.org/archivegrid/collection/data/788423288 ]
Associated Resource(s)